About Drug Crimes
Types of Controlled and Illegal Substances
If you are facing a drug charge, whether it is for possession of a small amount, or for a drug manufacturing operation, our attorneys may be able to help. We believe very strongly that your rights should be protected; our goal is to ensure that the police and the prosecution followed the law and respected your rights during the investigation. As often happens, however, they unlawfully obtain evidence and in that case, it is our job to make sure that it is not used against you. We have represented clients with drug charges relating to many different types of drugs, such as:
- Psilocybin (Hallucinogenic) Mushrooms
- Rohypnol/GHB (the date rape drug)
The vast majority of drug charges are felony charges, although some drug crimes involving substances from Penalty Groups 3 and 4 are misdemeanors. There four are different types of felonies in Houston:
- State Jail Felony: Punishments generally range from 180 days to 2 years in a state jail.
- Third Degree Felony: Punishments generally range from 2 to 10 years in prison.
- Second Degree Felony: Punishments generally range from 2 to 20 years in prison.
- First Degree Felony: Punishments generally range from 5 years to life in prison.
The type of felony varies depending on the charge, whether it is for drug possession,
prescription fraud, the Penalty Group of the drug, the amount of the drug, and other factors such as whether or not you were near a school at the time of arrest. It is possible to reduce your sentence or eliminate it altogether if you choose to attend a drug treatment program. The Martinez Law Firm can give you more specific information about your charge and the possible consequences.